Forgotten your password? Click here

Please enter the email address associated with your account.

Child protection

Children should be totally safe within our churches to learn about Jesus without being put at risk. We do this primarily because it honours God, but we also want to make sure that we’re acting above reproach in the eyes of children’s parents, our communities and the government.

Child protection primary image

One of the ways a church can take precautions concerning those who work with children is to obtain a Disclosure certificate for each person from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), formerly known as the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). However, an organisation has to be a ‘registered body’ with the DBS before it can submit Disclosure applications. When the CRB was first set up, some churches registered to do their own checks but there is now a minimum number of applications required per year for any organisation to retain its registration. This means churches are obliged to use a registered body to process any Disclosure applications.

From September 2012 FIEC has entered into a partnership arrangement with CCPAS (Churches Child Protection Advisory Service) so that affiliated churches can register with CCPAS in order to submit DBS Disclosure applications. This also gives churches access to CCPAS’ expertise in all areas of safeguarding.

Please contact us if you would like to know more or if you would like to use this service.

With effect from 17th June 2013, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) have introduced two significant changes to the system of Disclosure checks.

  1. Anyone applying for a Disclosure check from now on can subscribe to a new Update Service.  Once subscribed the individual can use their Certificate for different roles or organisations where the same level and type of check are required. Once subscribed an individual can give their permission and subscription details to a church. This will enable the church to undertake without cost an online instant status check to find out whether the individual’s Certificate is still up-to-date (see here for more information).
  2. Disclosure certificates will only be issued to the individual who is the subject of the check. A copy will no longer be issued to the organisation making the check. So when churches submit Disclosure applications they will need to ask the individual concerned for sight of their certificate once they have received it.

Those churches who are members of CCPAS and use CCPAS’ Disclosure applications service will have received details of these and other changes from CCPAS.

FIEC Practical Services is the trading name of The Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches Limited (FIEC Ltd.). FIEC Ltd. is a Registered Charity in England and Wales No. 251395, a Company incorporated in England No. 225717, and a Charity Registered in Scotland SC039913.

  • Advice primary image


    If you need advice on anything to do with Independent church life here in the UK then it's a good idea to come and talk to us first.

  • Trusteeship primary image


    What do you do if your church has no one who wants to be a trustee or has experience of property? Who do you need to contact if you change your trustees?

  • Model documents primary image

    Model documents

    How do you draw up a contract of employment? What information needs to be in your church governing document? What kind of agreement do you need in place if we want to rent out church property?

  • Payroll primary image


    Our Payroll Service is an important time saving administration process which every church should consider. Whether you are a small church with just one person on your payroll or a larger church with several pastors and employees, we can tailor our payroll service to suit your individual requirements and provide a well-managed payroll solution.

More from our strands